View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Default Collectors Guide to Authenticating Baseball Uniforms

Posted By: Giants00

Dave,
I would be very happy to help as well, my knowledge and data base is really pre-1955. there are several things that are very important to see if we can sort out:
1) mfg by team by year. There are some sources, but i think it would be great to have a best opinion
2) I have noticed on Corbis that there are now more locker room photos than ever, and some reveal tagging. it is clear that not all tagging is identical, but we should at least know the majority of tagging formats (ie Cards in the tail, Giants in the neck for a particular year)
3) when did teams move from hand made to machine made unis. This is very telling for identifying outright frauds or more likely later altered jerseys.
4) number of jerseys issued...a very controversial subject
5) playoff/world series jersies. were new flannels or were regular season ones used...
6)what does the HOF have, and what do they think is the proper tagging.
there are some ancillary sources i have (spalding uniform catalogs, etc) that claim that in 1912 9 teams used spalding, but getting better and more detailed info would be really useful.
I have no idea on the modern stuff, but for the older stuff, it would be useful.
dan
dscheinm@cisco.com