View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default Autographed Cards

Posted By: davidcycleback

For autograph collectors, certain issues are better for autographs than others. For example, the 1954 Bowmans are often not so hot as the signatures often don't show up so well on the dense fronts. On the other hand, some cheapo 1970s-80s commerative sets will show up regularly in the autograph section of a MastroNet or Mike Gutierrez Auction. This is because a Hank Greenberg or Carl Hubbell signature shows up great on the cheap black & white image, even if the card itself is worth 2 cents.

Just as one card collector specializes in 1970s Topps and another in Old Judges, baseball autograph collectors have varying tastes. One autograph collector would love to have a Mantle signed 1953 Bowman Color, while another has no interest in cards as they're too small to display.

I add that I think a kid getting his bubblegum card autographed by his favorite player was a legitimate and wholesome use of the card. I'm sure that the President of Topps, the Commisioner of Major League Baseball and the PTA would have approved.