View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Default How much money is out there?

Posted By: john/z28jd

While im sure there isnt many cards getting throw out by people who dont know the worth,that isnt what i meant by thrown out.All you need is a card getting put in the wrong place near something thats going to be thrown out and its gone.Theres tons of other ways,little kids getting their hands on them,pets,ex-wives throwing them out to spite their husband.Theres no gaurd in place to watch every single pre-ww1 baseball card so things happen.I was just giving broad examples,but i couldve said cards lost during moving from house to house or dealers losing cards going from stores to shows.

I think the main culprit is the thousands of cards that are in the mail each week.Even if an average of one or 2 cards got lost a day from any of these things youre eventually going to notice a lower supply which will in turn make up for less collectors should there even be less collectors.I did say 10 years from now as my example.Unless theres a HUGE collection thats documented lost to a fire/natural disaster then you wont notice this lower supply happen anytime soon.

Which leads me to the main point, attrition is inevitable no matter what you do.Every person isnt careful with cards and not every person who inherits cards knows what they have or takes care of them.Just because we know cards values doesnt mean some person is going to see an old piece of cardboard with a cartoon drawing of a baseball player they never heard of and assume its worth something