Thread: set collectors?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Chuck R

I'd chime in with Gilbert. I collect 30's nonsports and have probably finished about 50-60 sets between R1 and R180. The set length is often shorter than for baseball sets, though some of the 24-card sets (like R144 Strange True Stories) and 48-card sets (R21 Believe it or Not) are killers to complete. Also (and this will be heresy here so I'll start running when I finish typing) there's a lot more variety of images within the nonsports sets. The Goudey Indian Gum and National Chicle Skybirds are every bit at beautiful as their baseball and football brothers and quite a bit cheaper to finish in nice condition. And really, with baseball cards (I'm putting on my track shoes) 99% of the cards show a guy batting, pitching or fielding...not too compelling after the first 200 or 300 cards in the set to me. Don't get me wrong, I do have some much loved baseball sets (53 Topps and quite a few t206s), but after about 20 years of collecting baseball I crossed over to the dark side of vintage nonsports back in the mid-90's.