Thread: 1947 bond bread
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default 1947 bond bread

Posted By: RobertS

I never said this was the final proof on this issue. Indeed, my original post references the integrity of the seller as one thing to consider (I'm not suggesting this seller is bad, but that other "scrapbooks" we've seen have had fake cards inserted -- e.g. Babe Ruth Frojoys).

However, from the moment these square cards appeared on the scene in NY in the early 1980s, the selection of players has always seemed a bit odd -- why not "reprint" all the stars?

I agree with you on the thickness but not the toning -- I've seen dozens that were the same shade as the rounded corners.

Also, I didn't realize Beckett and SCD had different cards IDed as round cornered only -- that's strange.

I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of this. There is an easy solution, Ted...

Someone should just have the paper from one of the square cornered commons or boxers tested for age and be done with this once and for all. I'm sure nobody will balk at cutting up or ruining such a lowly card in the testing process!