View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake: completed auction

Posted By: T206Collector

I have gotten a little heat for my annoyance in this area before, so I should say that I applaud all efforts to learn about the authenticity of a card before bidding. You saved $75.00 and should be quite happy about that.

Having said that, if you have the opportunity to purchase a T206 Ty Cobb card on ebay in anything resembling something approximating a complete card (i.e., not half of one, or one with the face sanded off), then it will never... ever.... ever.... and I mean it NEVER will sell for under $100.00. Just doesn't happen. And if it's in a presentable condition, then never.... ever.... EVER.... really, just not EVER sell for under $200.00. Take a few minutes and peruse the history of T206 Ty Cobb sales on ebay and you will see what they sell for. Nothing close to $75.00. Only the fakes go for that, and only because people want to believe that they got the steal of the century.

You will never EVER be able to outwit, outsmart or outluck the thousands -- yes, thousands -- of people who surf for T206 Cobb cards on ebay on a daily and hourly basis. It only takes two people who know what the value of something on ebay to bid it up to the appropriate market level. You will not be getting a steal of a deal on a Ty Cobb card. Period. Full stop.

Now, having said all that there are two principles that follow:

(1) if it's under $100, or even $200, it ain't real. Don't bother. How do I know? Because of simple stuff like the color of the Old Mill back, the seller saying "As Is" or "selling as reprint because not graded" or a fluorescent color with a tea/dirt stained back. That's why no one of any repute bid on the card and that's why the card didn't sell for more.

(2) If it's over $200, that doesn't mean anything either. This is just a one way test -- under $100, don't bother, over $200, well, then you have to continue your research. But I don't even bother clicking into links for Ty Cobb cards where the price isn't over $100 yet. It's a waste of time.

Finally, and this is related in my opinion, you will never find a real Wagner on ebay, unless it is coming from a major auction house.