View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default Switching BVG graded cards to SGC or PSA

Posted By: Josh K.

I respectfully and completely disagree that BVG/BGS has the most accurate grading of pre-war cards. The manner in which they assign final grades virtually guarantees inaccuracy in my opinion. Specifically: As everyone probably knows, BVG assigns 4 subgrades, one each for centering, edges, surface and corners. They then use the four subgrades to "calculate" a final grade. However, that final grade is not an average of the four grades. In fact, the final grade cannot normally be more than a full grade higher than the lowest subgrade (and that is only if 3 of 4 subgrades are significantly higher than the lowest - otherwise, the final grade cant be more than a half point higher than the lowest subgrade). So, by way of extreme example, suppose you have a beautiful looking T206 that gets subgrades of 8 on corners, edges, and centering - but has typical vintage wear on the surface and gets a 2 - then the highest grade that card can receive would be a 3. I have had several BVG cards grade up when crossed over due to their over-reliance on the lowest subgrade.