View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default I thought SGC didn't grade restored card?

Posted By: Rhys

Seller is reputable and I did not sell the card to him so it has changed hands in the last 3 years. Wesley is right, I am not claiming there are a few pencil marks, I am estimating that 70% of the dark background is ONLY dark because pencil is making it that way. It is very obvious when holding it in person that this card was erased, or attempted to be cleaned and the ink vanished and someone tried to cosmetically repair the card by shading the background in with pencil. If you look at the scan you can see the very top tip of the oval is dark black, and the area to the players left is dark black. The ENTIRE rest of the background is shaded with vertical pencil lines. When tilting the card to the light you can see that this entire portion is silver looking when it refelects light (modern pencil effect). The oval frame to the players right was also appearantly missing because much of the oval border is also modern pencil which was used to recreat the border because it was missing. This is not just major restoration, but a hack job at that. It is a very, very obvious restoration job and in my opinion is MUCH more obvious than the Doyle card SGC graded for Alan Rosen. I also know this card has not had the pencil erased, because when holding it in person you can see through some of the pencil to the white stock of the card which is why it is so obvious even from the scan in the SGC holder.

Rhys