View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default Show me the back of the card, please!

Posted By: Julie Vognar

with BMWSportscards....bought a 51-52 Parkhurst Howe from Brian and Michael. I'd already bought three 51 Parkhursts from them, and they had all perfectly clean, plain backs. This one arrived with a big swatch of paper tape all down the back, with big numbers in it! When I called, Brian said, in effect, he felt about 51 Parkhursts about like I feel about Old Judges (who gives a damn what's on the back?). HOWEVER, he knew many people DIDN'T feel that way (many people don't feel that way about Old Judges, either--including grading companies...), and offered to pay to have it sent to a conservator Michael recommended--she'll be working on it this weekwend, already having gotten the card---and thinks it will be an easy job. If I am NOT satisfied with the result, they will replace the card, return my money, or somehow make it up to me.

They had 4 (!) 51-52 Howe Parkhursts, but I liked this one best. Before I spoke to them, I had thought I'd return the one they sent, plus the '54 Topps Howe, and buy one twice as expensive...but I really like the front of mine!

Two Parkhursts--rather primitaive, but very nice, and very important, because there had been no other hockey cards since the late '30s, except for small sets that also came out in '51. LOts of important rookie cards...