View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Legendary cuts....

Posted By: Josh Adams

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here it goes.
I think the idea of the Legendary Cuts series is a good one. It allows collectors the chance to get an autograph they might not be able to afford otherwise. The chance to pull a Cy Young, or "y Youn" depending on the company ,for about $4.00/pack is indeed enticing to collectors. Plus, it may just get younger collectors who buy the new stuff interested in the hobby.
The young collector might buy a box of Legendary Cuts, hoping for a Ruth signature, and instead pull a bunch of pre-War HOF cards such as Cobb, Plank, Matty, you get the picture. That may spark in interest in that collector to find out more about that player, and generate a whole new group of pre-war collectors.
Now, in PRACTICE, it's a bit different. These "1/1" cut autos create a fictious scarcity. I saw a Hank Greenberg cut auto go for several thousand dollars. I bought a PSA/DNA Greenberg auto for $100.00 at a show last month.
If I pulled the card that was listed at the top of this thread, it would be hard NOT to sell it, and finish that darned '33 Goudey set!

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!