View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default how much will it bring?

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Assuming you can get PSA to buy a card back, in Hal�s example of the 33 Goudey Ruth that is fake, if PSA actually graded the card and holdered it, the guarantee would extend to anyone who ends up buying that card long after the original submitter is out of the picture. This is far different than if a date on the flip is wrong. PSA uses the same reference material that we do to determine the date of an issue. Should PSA now have to buy back every 1949 Leaf card identified as 1948 or every 1909 E102 which is identified as from 1908? PSA does not do the research on dating issues, nor is it their responsibility to do so. They exercise reasonable effort to ascertain the date of an issue, which in most cases is relying on printed reference material available to all of us. In the case of unique issues I am sure that the submitter is the one who provides PSA with the reference material to substantiate the date and identity. If PSA is not comfortable with what is provided the card is likely not going to be holdered. I would be very shocked if PSA did anything more than open up the Standard Catalog to determine the information on the Reccius. PSA's liability extends to the authenticity of a card or in accuracy in grading, not dating. If later research determines and is accepted that the date of an issue is different, even much different, than what was relied on and believed by the entire hobby, how can PSA or any grading company be responsible for that? Hal has provided information which challenges dates of issues that we all accepted.--issues which are far from unique. I guess with issues like the Reccius the buyer has to know that there is some degree of uncertainty or possibility that the date and story behind the issue could be wrong and may change over time.