View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Default 3rd April Recent Pick Up's thread

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Brian,

Here are scans of my pack. I wasn't going to post this yet since I just purchased it and do not have it in hand yet but I have a mint, unopened AB pack - 1903 tax stamp with a '09 overprint from December - corresponding factory number from the T-206 issue - this is the kind of pack that would have had a card in it. Does this one? Possibly but unopened packs that do contain a card are so rare, the chances are negligable. When I get the pack in hand, I was going to do some more research on it, especially in light of Scot's article on the possible distribution of the 350 series (AB series). I purchased this pack via a private transaction last week.

I have seen three AB slide and shells. One sold a few years back in an Mastro auction - empty and pretty beat up - but the first I had seen offered. One full pack sold a little while back on eBay and then I purchased this one privately last week. I believe there is a fourth floating around but haven't confirmed. I'm sure there are a couple more too, but next to the Broadleaf and the Uzits - these are the rarest T-206 packs to get. AB's in slide and shell configurations are unheard of. As for your pack - there was a find of 6 "soft" 15 cig packs this summer in New Jersey. All were housed inside a cigar box. I am 99% positive your pack came from that find. I believe a few other packs from that find of 6 were sold to members of this board - our esteemed leader Leon included. [Lastly, I should mention AB cards came in 10 count cig packs.]

Edited to ad: This was the pack that sold in Mastro's auction in 2004 I believe. This was the first time I had seen a 10 count AB slide and shell for sale publically or privately.