View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Default condition of cards collected

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Depends what I'm collecting.

For 1938 Goudey, I'm constantly upgrading, looking for the highest-grade cards I can find within my budget level. My set stands right now at a 5.8 grade (PSA), although I have many 7s and a few 8s. I'll often upgrade within the grade, for example replacing a 6 with a nicer 6.

For my HOF set, which is probably my key set, I look for the highest-grade card that makes sense based on my budget and the era. This means I try and obtain 1960s to the present cards in SGC 88 and above, 1950s I'll take lower, and prewar even lower than that, right down to SGC 10s, depending on the card. The more scarce the issue, the lower grade I'll take.

For my T205 set, I'm building it in low to mid grade, mostly SGC 40 and below, although I've managed to get a couple higher, almost by accident (buying a raw card that grades well).

When I latch onto T206s, I often get them in even lower grades than that - mostly raw, mostly in fair to good condition. No reason, other than I kinda think it's cool to have a 100-year-old card that's been well-handled and hasn't been tucked away without seeing the light of day for all this time.

-Al