View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Default "PIEDMONT 1st" Theory - Magie, Doyle Errors, etc.

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

In the ongoing Thread (EPDG....) by Barry Arnold we have observed patterns regarding
the backs of certain T206 cards. And, from this analysis I have put forth a Theory that
the PIEDMONT Tobacco brand must have been the very 1st to be issued of all the var-
ious ones, as each Series (150, 350, 460) was produced. Barry Arnold (he's the professor)
very aptly referred to my theory.....the "Piedmont Primacy".

I initially came up with this theory based on the 2 major "error" cards in the T206 set.
1st the MAGIE error card....all the few cards of Magie exist only with a Piedmont 150
back. This tells us the very 1st T206 cards must have been issued with the Piedmont
brand and the T206 designers (or Quality Control) quickly caught this mis-spelling of
MAGEE and this error was not continued with any subsequent 150-Series Tobacco
brands (HINDU, Sweet Cap., Sov., etc.).

Incidently, there was a Magie playing in the Minors when Sherry Magee came up to the
Majors; so, perhaps therein lies the mistake (and not just a simple spelling error).

The 2nd factor that supports my "Piedmont 1st" theory is the very scarce Joe Doyle error card.
The handful of Joe Doyle error cards that have surfaced are only Piedmont 350. When, the 350
Series cards were first introduced (circa 1910), "Slow Joe" Doyle of the NY Highlanders was in-
cluded. Also, in this series was Larry Doyle (batting) of the NY Giants.

My theory is that the T206 designers somehow initially confused the 2 Doyle's and captioned
both cards in this series with "N.Y. NAT'L". And, just as in the Magie case......Quality Control
caught their mistake even faster this time. But, by then a few Joe Doyle (N.Y. NAT'L) cards
were printed only on Piedmont backs....and, a handful (or two) "escaped" into circulation.
They did eliminate the "N.Y. NAT"L" on the Joe Doyle card; but, in doing so, forgot to then
add "AMER." next to his team (N.Y.).

I fully appreciate that my speculation regarding the Joe Doyle "error" differs from previous
thinking; but, I feel it is consistent with the Piedmont patterns we have observed in the 500+
cards that we have surveyed in the "EPDG" Thread.

Not the real "error" cards but their corrected versions with their above noted Piedmont backs.

This thread is not intended to divert the ongoing survey of Barry Arnold's EPDG thread.
All subsequent T206 T-Brand inputs regarding the cards of interest should continue to
be posted on that Thread.