View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default Why do people hide behind a screen name

Posted By: DJ

Over time, perhaps in my case, paranoia and a lack of "getting out there" has turned me into who I am and I kind of enjoy my privacy as well, but I can tell you I'm far from J.D Salinger or Thomas Pynchon.

Plus a person's past experiences of being "de-flowered" of your identity and maybe a threat here or there kind of builds walls. Did I mention I pay for my cardboard by doing vigilante missions?

In this "net age" where a person is most often known through an ID, I'm willing to come out of my gopher hole and introduce myself to...say Leon and perhaps he will place an opinion in matching this electronic voice to the name. This goes for other folks as well. Well since my last cardboard purchase was months and months and months ago, I do not feel worthy to be on this site and kind of kidnap the experiences and education of the Board.

I find those threads where everyone shares photos of themselves (they are most often beside a vehicle of some sort) kind of neat as you often attempt to match whether that voice can come from that body. You also wonder how a "card geek" like that can get such a "hottie"...after all, he likes cardboard!

My ex-girlfriend was a true California beauty and one night, at a club (cutting a rug), a man three times her age started to spurt his best lines in her direction. When I walked over, he said "while I can show you my beach front house in Coronado, my private plane and an island that I'm partnered with, this guy will show you his baseball card collection!". WTF? The night before, she had chosen a favorite card of mine. I'll give you a hint...it's pre-1900 and a dog is involved in the photo.

My feeling on privacy is "too each his own", as long as you play fair and your threads aren't mean spirited or out there to dupe the collecting public. Some people like the spotlight...some don't.

DJ