View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default 1940 Play Ball "Color Proofs" finally graded!

Posted By: Chris Counts

Here's the latest on the plight of my 1940 Play Ball "color" cards. I took them to the National and submitted them to SGC. Just like my experience with GAI, I received nothing but postive feedback until the cards were returned ... ungraded and without any explanation (does this qualify as a rejection?). But here's the really frustrating part, just a few tables away I found a 1940 Play Ball "Color Proof" of Carl Hubbell (for $8,000) ... graded by SGC!!! I pointed this out to them, and they agreed to take one of them back to New Jersey and reconsider grading it. By the way, I showed the cards to at least two dozen vintage dealers, plus a handful of guys from Mastro, and just about everybody said they believed the cards were legit, and many were very emphatic about it. Several made comments that I wouldn't have any trouble getting them graded if I was a well known dealer ... By the way, one of the guys from Mastro told me a couple of cards like mine surfaced in a collection that hadn't been touched since the early 60s, eliminating the possibility the color had been added in recent years ...