View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Default OT -Babe Ruth Museum -Baltimore

Posted By: Greg

Here are some photos of the Babe Ruth Museum we took on our trip to Baltimore last year. Great place to visit and well worth the short walk from the ballpark. If I'm not mistaken, any cards there were reprints, as seen below.

While I was there, I got talking to one of the curators regarding the Babe's father's bar. Being a long time collector of pre-prohibition brewery advertising and long time Sox fan, I've always been fascinated by a photograph of the Babe and his dad tending bar. I heard that it was located in the spot currently occupied by center field of Camden Yards. He mentioned that this was true, but corrected me in stating that the bar which was located there was actually his dad's first bar. According to the curator, the bar we were interested in was his dad's second bar, still existant and still in operation, even though he never personally went there himself. Obviously we (my dad, wife, 7 year old daughter and myself - ok, make that only me, the others just tagged along) had to find it to see what was still standing. He gave us directions and told us it was now known as the "Goddess". Here is what we found"

The only problem was that it was all locked up at two in the afternoon. It also had black windows. It also had a annoyed wife with daughter standing in front of it as we kept trying to get in the door. She picked up on it before we did. Come to find out, Mr. Ruth's bar is now a strip joint.

Never did get in there....oh well.

Greg