View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default JC Do you work at being a pain in the ass

Posted By: Joe D.

I love that postcard - so don't get me wrong....

but I think the seller may have had the 'year' produced a little wrong.

I am thinking the late 20s or later -
and here is why....

1) The whole theme of the card seems to be an homage to a great player / a retrospective. Something that would be done near the end of a great career or after a great career --- not during the earlier playing days.... So the 'boyhood home', the 'autograph' and the 'posed photo' -- all put together like that leads me to believe this was the end or after Walter Johnson's career.

2) I could be completely wrong here --- but the 'composite' of three independent graphic elements... four elements if you include the caption as a separate element... gives the item a much more modern feel than what would have been done in 1910s. Especially since the border art had to be pre-though out, pre-created to allow for spots of a signature / photos and captions.

The fact that it is a RPPC makes it exciting to me. You have there two great actual photos that someone took great care in combining to create a nice card. I guess the autograph is a photo of an autograph as well.

Very cool postcard. Just I believe the eBayer had the date wrong.

Anyone agree / disagree? There are definitely others more learned than I am on the subject.