View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default eBay listing - DETROIT WOLVERINES PLAYER CABINET CARD 1880S?

Posted By: Joe_G.

Buyer Beware

I only post on eBay listings before they end when they are highly suspect or misleading.

Here it is => http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&item=330035462946&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The seller (Steven Schwartz -> prymtyme3333) claims the subject matter on this cabinet card is either Stump Weidman or Larry Twitchell of the Detroit Wolverines. I corresponded with the seller five times over the last 24hrs giving him most of the following details and offering more but ultimately the seller has decided to leave the listing as is. I also decided to post since I see one board member has already placed a bid and others have sent me a link to the auction (thanks).

First observation I made was that the studio listed (Holcombe & Alvord) and address (222 Woodward Ave.) signify an 1884 or 1885 cabinet (per Detroit City Directory).

Now Larry Twitchell didn't start his professional baseball career until 1886 with 4 games played with Detroit. Prior to this, Twitchell played for Columbus & Zanesville Ohio teams making a trip to Detroit for a photo highly unlikely. And, then there is the fact that this guy doesn't look all that much like Twitchell.

Stump Weidman on the other hand did actually play for Detroit during the years of interest (1884/1885). So I'll just have to fall back on the fact that this dude doesn't look anything like Stump. Here is a good shot of Stump from 1883 (thanks JC).

On the other hand, if anyone thinks otherwise, please speak up. If you can convince me this is Larry Twitchell or any other Detroit Wolverine, I'll bid this bad boy up. Good luck.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski