View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default Questions for Doug Allen

Posted By: Doug Allen

I would be happy to answer all of your questions......see responses below:

1)Rob Lifson recently described the altering of cards as an "epidemic". Do you agree with this and if so what are you doing to combat it?

I believe given the high value of graded cards the attempts to alter cards and get them graded is an epidemic. We basically do three things..(1) we handle a tremendous amount of raw cards so our experts including Derek, Kevin, Pete, Lee and now Joe examine raw cards prior to submission for grading to ensure they are original and unaltered, (2) We use two independent grading services to grade cards in order to get an independant opinion on the grade and (3) We review cards in their holder and if we have concerns with them we will not sell them...two quick examples (A)I have an "E" card of Young graded ExMt by a respected grading service. I will not sell it...I believe it to be trimmed...we are working to get the card bought back by the grading service (B) We have a 15 Cracker Jack graded NM-MT that has a pencil mark noticeable on the front of the players uniform. The grading company missed it. We are working with them to correct the error.

2)Rob also said that some of the most sophisticated work on cards has been executed by employees of auction houses that also deal in cards. What is your reaction to this?

I disagree with this. The only auction house that I know of that has employees that handle significant volumes of raw cards for grading is Mastro Auctions and I can tell you that we do not do "sophisticated work on cards". We service our customers, we maximize the grades but we do not do "sophisticated work".

3)What will Mastronet and its employees do (if anything) to improve the condition of cards that are consigned to it? Please adress the following

Let me first react to the general question. Mastro Auctions will take raw cards and prepare them to grade. In my mind what this includes are practices that are accepted by grading services suck as laying down corners that may have "flipped" during handling, removing wax residue from the surface of a card and pressing out a light wrinkle that does not break the surface of the card.

Here are my reactions to the following processes....

--cleaning card--such as taking glue off

I have no problem with removing paste that remains from album removal especialy vintage paste that rarely damages the surface of the card.

--taking out creases

I have no problem with taking out light creases or surface wrinkles that do not break the surface.

--erasing pencil marks

I have no problem erasing "light" pencil marks. I believe dark ones impact the surface of the cards and therefore are better off left alone.

--pressing cards

This needs to be defined. I have no problem laying down corners or "flips" caused by handling.

--trimming

I am totally against trimming cards

--bleachoing/recoloring

I am totally against bleaching/recoloring cards

4)Do you use restoration services on cards such as Paul Messier or Graphic Restoration and what exactly will they do for you?

We use Paul Messier for photo restoration which is disclosed.

We use Graphic Restoration to do restoration of display pieces which is disclosed.

We rarely use anyone to do work on cards...the one exception is the card with Glue that was removed from the surface which was talked about extensively on the Board. Although I stand by the process I do believe we made a mistake in not disclosing the work.

I hope I have been responsive to your questions.

All the best,
Doug