View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Default Questions for Doug Allen

Posted By: Doug Allen

Here are the answers to your most recent questions.....

The one thing that surprised me was that you are willing to take out a surface wrinkle or a light crease. I would consider this card alteration and unacceptable.

Response - I agree if it is a deep crease that impacts the integrity of the paper or card stock....absolutely agree. If it does not compromise the integrity of the paper I don't have a problem with this.

Couple of more more questions if I may--how widespread do you think the issue is of trimmed cards in holders(GAI,SHC,PSA). A few or a large amount?

Response - I will only speak to SGC and PSA as they are the services that we use on a consistent basis. I don't believe the issue is widespread. I believe it happens. Actually, I have experienced both of them stepping up and buying back cards when it is clear they have made a mistake. I have witnessed this on many occasions.

Secondly, has the ability of card restorers to get cards past the grading companies surpassed the ability of the grading companies to detect this.

Response - I believe the good cards grading companies continually work to keep up with trends of restorers.....long ago card grading companies went way beyond just measuring cards to viewing the edges, the cut and the surface of the card. I agree the "doctors" are getting better but so are the grading companies.