View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Default Questions for Doug Allen

Posted By: Jason L

What a wake up call to a hobbyist who hopes to someday start collecting more seriously...to me this says, "why bother?"
I know I am a relative newbie here and a far smaller fish in the pond, but I must say,

Doug, thank you very much for your honesty. But I am truly disappointed to hear about undisclosed altering/doctoring/changing-whatever you want to call it. The integrity of the hobby is not what I had hoped for. Turns out cards in good condition are not as scarce as I had thought...fact is that the population of high-end vintage material is actually increasing as new finds are brought into circulation and prettied up for sale!

Jim Crandell, thank you very much for starting this topic. Very useful, and with only those first couple of paragraphs at the top of this page, I think you added value to the hobby pursuit. Looks like you saved me a ton of cash over the next 30 years!

BarrySloate, I think it's honorable to disclose which items are yours in your auctions, but entirely unnecessary.

Overall, this is truly depressing to see...I wanted to believe this stuff was real...I guess there's always a guy behind a curtain, isn't there?

Perhaps the other auction houses could also find the balls to come out to disclose their thoughts on these topics as well so that we may all understand what we are really dealing with...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone

Jason L