View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Default Questions for Doug Allen

Posted By: barrysloate

Doug- I entirely respect your answers to points #1 and #2, especially the way you handled the consignor's 1957 Topps set. I think you went above and beyond to get him more money and in an entirely ethical way. I still have a bit of discomfort with answer #3. If Mastro Auctions resubmits 5% of their material for review, which is a considerable amount since you deal in the millions of dollars, isn't it implied that you feel the grade is too low and deserves to get bumped up? I know that is why everyone resubmits cards, but if I do it I'm probably sending them a card or two, if I do it at all. The one thing I just refuse to believe, and sorry if I am cynical here, is that notion that if one of the top auction houses submits a massive number of cards to be graded, that the graders have no idea who submitted them. I know that is what they state as policy, but you would have to be working with blinders on (and don't wear blinders when grading cards) to not know you just got a submission from a major client. Just the sheer size and quality of a submission would be a tip-off. And Doug, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Mastro Auctions sending in the biggest and best group of cards, but if I were a grader I could distinguish between a major client and a lower level one in a minute. And this is not an accusation, just trying to state what appears to be obvious. My biggest concern is that grading may not be the objective process it is supposed to be, and if so then I have no faith in it whatsoever.