View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default I've owned this card for 30 years ...

Posted By: barrysloate

Paul- here is one of my favorite stupid stories: many years ago a new customer called and asked if I could find him a Kalamazoo Bat. I gave him a price range, maybe it was around a $1000 at the time, and he said he was interested. I contacted someone who had one, got him to agree to sell it, had a photocopy made, and mailed it to the customer. Hadn't heard back from him for a week, so I called him. He sheepishly admitted he didn't respond because he was actually looking for a vintage 19th century bat, and thought a Kalamazoo Bat sounded like one he would like to own. It was funny that he agreed to a price when he hadn't even a clue what he was making an offer for. He didn't even have the right genre!

I've also had dozens of calls from people over the years who have Wagners, Planks, Lajoie's, etc. that have the value of the card printed on the back, and ask me how much I think their cards are worth. I always say doesn't it strike you odd that a baseball card would be issued with its own value printed on it? Not to mention at time of issue all baseball cards are worth zero.