View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default O/T autographed '53 Topps Mantle

Posted By: davidcycleback

A classic example is Pete Rose's rookie. The card is valuable, but Rose's autograph is as common as they get. Rose's autograph would not ruin the value of the rookie card. However, some would say leave the card alone and have Rose sign a baseball. That way you have Rose's rookie and a Rose signed baseball. Display them side by side if you wish.

On the other hand, a Thurman Munson signature on his rookie card would dramatically raise the value, as Munson's signature is rare especially on his rookie card.

I like autographed cards and have had HOFer signed Goudeys and Diamond stars, and, yes, even a Pete Rose sharpie signed 63 Topps. I think many of the modern Topps/Upper Deck/Fleer Old Timers certified inserts card nice. I'm not talking about the cut signature cards, but the ones where the Yaz and Seaver and Nolan Ryan were paid to sign directly on the card. The players were under contract, the cards have the card manufacturer's COA stamped or printed directly on the card, and the card designs are usually nice. There are certified insert cards of Mickey Mantle (Score), Ted Williams (Upper Deck) and Joe DiMaggio (Pinnacle). In fact, the Barry Halper catalog has a picture of Mantle in the process of signing a small pile of the Score cards.