View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default O/T autographed '53 Topps Mantle

Posted By: William Brumbach

Thanks for the compliments all.

Peter, I generally pick up the cards already signed as like the older signatures from the players were younger. I think that it is sad to see a shakey old man's signature, it just doesn't do anything for me. Later Spahn and Newhouser autographs as well as post-accident/stroke Campanella's are depressing. I have visions of a frail old man trying to eak out one more autograph, but as was stated above most people just want something signed. I'm a little pickier.

Most of the autographs either come from a collection being broken up of someone who collected the autographs through the mail (TTM) back in the 70's or from larger auction house lots being sold as singles by a dealer. Many of the cards that I now have were originally slabbed but I broke them out since I like the plastic sheet method better. I have my HOF autographs slabbed or intend to get slabbed eventually but these other ones I like in the plastic sheets.

I don't get the problem with signed "expensive" cards. If it is for a project or someone wants that item signed, then by all means go for it. I'd like nothing more than to have the 1952 Topps Mantle that Mastro had a year or two ago where the facsimile autograph on the card was erased and someone had Mantle sign his autograph inside of the box. Autographed vintage cards are cool!