View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Default "My relationship with JP Cohen and Memory Lane"----From Marshall Fogel.

Posted By: barrysloate

Leon- fair enough, and sorry if I made too strong a point about you posting for Marshall. I guess it doesn't matter but on some level it makes it seem as if you are endorsing his opinions, which you are not.

I know nothing at all about Mr. Cohen except what I read on this board. Here is where I have an issue: before he went to prison, he ran a sophisticated scheme that made him pretty wealthy, and if he was able to drop 50K in a night gambling, he must have done pretty well for himself. If there really were any thoughts of starting a new life, perhaps social work or working in a soup kitchen would have shown a little more contrition. Operating a million dollar baseball card auction business where there are so many opportunities to stray (again, unregulated business) seems to me like a continuation of the same materialistic lifestyle, with all the trappings and temptations of his previous one.

It would be like driving drunk, killing somebody while behind the wheel, going to prison for manslaughter, and then when you get out you decide to straighten out your life by opening a bar. Mr. Cohen is now free to do what he wants but he certainly is not a sympathetic figure.