Thread: HOF Results
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Default HOF Results

Posted By: whycough

I always enjoy reading the posts on subjects like this. I always wonder about some of the people who are allowed to vote for entrace into the hall: I wonder if they are old enough to have seen a Gossage or Rice play or how much they know about baseball's history. I think perhaps there should be some kind of test taken before voting rights are granted. I think that being a beat writer covering today's Major League scene might not be enough.
I always wonder about people who can look at McGuire's hyperbolic body and shrug it off by talking about some pitcher who cut the ball on his belt buckle. Then I remind myself that we live in times where two wrongs do make a right. On McGuire: I like to remember seeing McGuire being interviewed in the Card's locker room in the days he was smashing the ol' pill and he was in a cut-short tee shirt that showed his biceps bulging and my reponse was laughter. The same kind of automatic laughter that sprang from my diaphragm when I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger in a preview of the coming movie, Conan the Barbarian.
Andrew, as far as including Seaver in the top five of all time, I would answer that, of the twirlers I've been lucky enough to see, I would rate Pedro, Koufax, Bob Gibson, and maybe Spahn as being superior to Tom Terrific (anyone else remember Tom Terrific?). I suspect that a healthy Pedro was as good as anyone who took the hill.