View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell Autographs you personally acquired

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

This happened around 10 years ago while I was a dealer at a card show near San Francisco City Hall. I was lucky enough to have my table set up right next to Orlando Cepeda who was signing autographs that day. Unfortunately, the promoter who was suppose to bring Cepeda's fee for the day, did not bring the check.

As a consequence, Cepeda just sat at his table and refused to sign. I really couldn't blame him since I probably would have done the same. However, I did spend most of the morning shooting the breeze with Orlando. We discussed the '62 Giants and whether he stayed in contact with Marichal. It was almost like we were old friends talking about good times.

Near the end of the show I thought about asking him for an autograph because we had become friends. But then I thought it would be better not to since he hadn't gotten paid and I didn't want to make it difficult for him to say no. I have to admit that I probably did the right thing and my memories of that day are so vivid, I doubt if I need a signed card to jog my memory.

Peter