View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell Autographs you personally acquired

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

In 1980 I met Phil Rizzuto at a BB card show in Union, NJ. We talked about our old neighborhood in Hillside, NJ....
where I grew up and he lived only 2 blocks away. He signed several items for me, and this 1953 World Series wire-
photo was one.

It took me a while, and in Dec. 1982 at an Atlantic City Show I finally got to meet Billy Martin. I'll never forget the
experience....it looked like Billy was not feeling too well. The longest line to get autographs that day was not at the
tables of Mantle, Snider or Mays....but it was at Billy's table. Billy was a very tough signature to get back then.

I was set-up near where Billy was signing and I kept glancing over. Late in the afternoon the line had shortened so I
got in it. Billy would not look up or talk to anyone while signing. I presented to him this wirephoto....upon looking at it,
he looked up at me and asked me where I got it. I was startled so I don't recall my reply, but I do recall saying...."the
1953 World Series was all yours, Billy, you single-handedly beat the Dodgers; I remember all 6 games".....he gave me
half a smile and said...."Boy, I look pretty good here and you're right that a was great Series; thanks, for showing me
this photo, you made my day".

1953 WS (6 games) Billy's stats....batted .500 (12 hits/24 AB)....2 HR....8 RBI's

TED Z