View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Default Question about high end graded cards being trimmed

Posted By: barrysloate

It's actually a dinner, but nothing above and beyond what I posted will be mentioned at the dinner. Confidentiality means just that, it doesn't mean only ten guys get to hear the whole story. But we will be discussing among other things measures that can be taken to keep altered cards out of the marketplace, although how much we accomplish in that area is not clear.

But let me share this with everybody: there are many people who are expert in the art of paper restoration, and most of them work for museums and private collectors and disclose all their work. But like in any field, there are bad seeds. I know that there are paper restorers out there who make a living expertly altering cards, and some percentage go undetected and make it into holders. I can't tell you what percentage, because I do not know. But as time goes by there are going to be some very sad stories and some very violated collectors who will be victims. I think in the end the grading services are our only line of defense, and while I am sure they are doing the best they can, I think they need to do better, and it may boil down to better technology.