View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Default One of the things that's wrong with the current grading system

Posted By: Joann

I got the magazine that SGC or whoever puts out periodically - this one was a few weeks ago. It included in interview/article with SGC that addressed the issue of adding half-grades, especially in the lower tiers.

The gist of the response was that it definitely seemed like half grades would allow for more discrimination among cards, and that the window of what can be called any of the full grades is too wide.

But the reason given for not correcting this is because there are so many cards out there in holders right now. I guess I didn't agree with that logic. Why perpetuate something that's ineffective or wrong just because there are cards graded under the current scale? Why put even more cards out there graded on current scale, just because some are out there?

The concern was that people would want to see if their current SGC 30's and 40's could go up a half grade. Fine. So run a $3 or $4 in-holder special for anyone with a current holder, with the review limited to whether the card should increase a half grade - yes or no. Seems like that would work.

I think it's ironic that you almost have to be more careful to ask for a scan of a low end card than a high end card. Just too much variation allowed in lower grades.

Joann