View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Default Show us your ... Hank Greenberg!

Posted By: DMcD

Lou Gehrig says . . . "One of the big offensive factors in the work of the Detroit Tigers is the lusty clubbing of Henry Greenberg, New Yorker, who plays at first base for the Detroit team. Greenberg is spending his fifth season in professional ball. He was grabbed by the Tigers in 1930 and after a few years of seasoning in the minor leagues, came back to win a regular place. He is six feet, four inches in height, and weighs 215 pounds. Last year he batted .301 in 117 games and ranked high in fielding his position."
David McDonald says . . . "Back when I was a kid in New York in the fifties we used to wait outside the Yankees clubhouse after ballgames to get players to sign our scorecards. On a good day you could get a dozen or 15 Yankee or visiting ALer autographs. After one game in the 1957 season when I was seven years old my Dad pointed to a tall man in an overcoat standing in a crowd and said "That's Hank Greenberg." I walked over to the man and I remember looking up at a giant as I said "My Dad says you're Hank Greenberg." To which he replied in a kind voice, "That's right." At which point I thrust my scorecard at him and said "Sign here." The crowd got a chuckle, I got an autograph and a nice memory for an old baseball fan. (The autographed scorecards, the bicycle-spoked '57 Topps cards, Superboy comics and my coonskin cap all landfill now. Or perhaps floating around on eBay)."