View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default My Fascination with Great Rarities

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Barry, I'm trying to remember the full Tango story. Brian Daniels is one of the experts on this issue. Doug Allen also. But as I recall the hoard was found in Louisiana, where the Tango Egg company was based. There have been a very few cards show up which were not part of the hoard, and they were all in "circulated" condition - vg-ish or worse. The cards from the hoard were mostly pristine uncirculated cards. Maybe the family that owed the company thought that the cards might be a good promotional idea but the company was already in such dire straits that they went out of business before most of the cards were distributed. Then a family member kept the remaining cards. Or, possibly Tango Eggs never existed and the cards we see are some kind of salesmen samples produced to show a prospective customer, using a company fictitious name. Or the Tango folks never paid the printer so the printing company kept the cards. I remember one of our NET 54 colleagues mentioning both of these possibilities in previous posts. But we will probably never know why there are so many Beschers and Jennings and so few of some of the others. 1-2 Cobbs and Wagners, 4 Bresnahans, etc. out of 700+ total cards. I think that all of the poses are also found in other candy and bread issues, although why Weaver and others are misidentified remains a mystery.