View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Default What does your collection mean to you?

Posted By: Jason L

Very honestly, thank you.
I didn't take any offense at all. I just thought perhaps I could help by removing it on a day which was, I agree, rather OT in general.

Unfortunately, I cannot recreate the top post, since I didn't save it anywhere, but I will try to get back to my original question.

Leon's revised thread title is basically my question. In 400 more words, I originally rambled about how a recent death in my family caused me to think about my collection. While we have had card/lifestyle-related topics on here before (security, storage, wills, taxes, wife's approval, etc), I was wondering what your collection means to you. Where does it fit in your life, between the marriage, the kids, the dogs, the work, other hobbies?
Do you think of it as an extension of yourself or a part of you?
How much does your collection reflect who you are? Is it a mess? is it focused? does it express team loyalty or do you chase the spotlight with a dedication to HOFers or all-stars? Is it your childhood, now grown-up? Or is it a grown-up chasing his childhood?

I posted this on my website earlier today, which meant something at the time, and now appears perhaps too deep...and if you notice, I can't even answer my own question. "We pass this way but once, and to build something is to commemorate the journey. When the journey is done, I hope that this Collection will reflect the collector, perhaps in some way that is as yet undetermined."

Why do we collect all this "stuff"? How do we know when we're done?

In the end, I would hate to learn that the money means more than the "Sunsets" if you get my meaning...

Thanks to all for indulging me. There are no wrong answers...unless we start to see this disintegrate into another slabs vs. raw debate, hangman on the latest deadbeat, or politicians' names enter into the fray...in which case, Leon, I repeat my request to lock this one up!