View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Default totally ridiculous shipping charges-ebay

Posted By: David Smith

Bill, if the seller is worried about all the extra cost associated with selling something on eBay, then why not add it into the opening bid or Reserve Price isntead of gouging on Shipping?? It seems like a bait and switch to me. "Here is a card I am willing to sell for $5 dollars but I am going to charge you $10 dollars to mail the thing. Yes, Postage is only $4.60 Priority but the extra $5 dollars helps off set my other costs".

Why not just start the thing off at $10 dollars and say upfront Postage is going to be $4.60?? This way people know beforehand that the seller wants $10 dollars for the card instead of finding out AFTER they have already won the thing. This way seems straightforward and honest to me.

Adding in extra for Postage to cover other costs seems dishonest and if I were a winning bidder and found out after I had won that Postage was going to be A LOT mroe than usual just because the seller is trying to recoup some sunk cost, I would be upset and probably not bid on any of their items again. Also, I thought eBay had rules against this sort of behaviour??

David