View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default Is the Grading System Broken?

Posted By: T206Collector

....this thread is going on today. It's like the December and January threads leading up to the great pizza dinner in NYC last January.

For the record (again), I agree that Jim should put his cards to the test here. But what is lost from this current discourse is that the vast majority of Jim's 25,000 graded cards are all 1950-1970 baseball, basketball and other common issues that are not the issue. As Jim himself has stated, he has stopped purchasing T206 cards because that's the harder question, i.e., where the factory processes were not nearly as exact as good old Topps had it.

What I wanted Jim to do last year, and in fact offered to help subsidize, was crossing all of his 100 or so PSA 8 T206 cards into SGC holders -- for the same reasons as stated in this thread, i.e., put his money where his mouth is, that sort of thing. Our conversation devolved into generic name calling, etc., but basically that was the deal -- and even at those stakes, there was nary a nibble. Jim was going to hold his 100 or so PSA 8 T206 cards and there was no interest in seeing what SGC would say about them.

With respect to SGC's guarantee, if you purchase a $25,000 card in an SGC slab and it is later determined to be fake/altered, etc., they will refund you the $25,000 (or the difference between your cost and actual market value as a result of the alteration). The day they refuse such a refund is the day we all have to be careful -- and the day that I start shopping for another 3rd party authenticator.