View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default Theories on T206 backs having fewer subjects

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

As we know....Piedmont covers all 522 subjects of the T206 set. All other T- brands fall short of this mark.
Piedmont was 1st and it was the most to be printed. This fact is so, due to ATC favoring this brand. And,
as the subsequent brands were introduced (Sweet Cap, Sovereign, Hindu, etc.) player's status changed
(i.e., trades, retirements, reassigned to Minors, and deaths). Therefore, a lot of these players were not
printed with the other brands. I cannot speak for all the 15 T-brands; but, I am certainly very cognizant
of this regarding the Sovereign brand. No less than 65 subjects were not printed with this brand, for the
aforementioned reasons.

I'm in agreement with Brian and Frank, that American Lithograph printed all the different brand cards in NYC,
then shipped them to the various Tobacco Factories to be inserted in their packs. The backs were printed
in sheet form. My guess is an array of 12 cards across by 4 down, forming a 48-card sheet.

The fronts are a mystery to me....LITHOGRAPHY is printing with images etched in stone....could there have
been 400 "stone plates" (approx. # of diff. images in the T206 set) ? That thought is mind-boggling to me....
but, who really knows ? ?

TED Z