View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default "Common" Players with Interesting Stories?

Posted By: Misunderestimated (Brian H.)

I've read 2 books about Delahanty and his peculiar death -- Sowell's book "1904...." about his death, and the more recent bio "Delahanty and Emerald Age of Baseball" -- and I don't think it could have been murder (ie homicide). At most you could argue that someone was negligent but there is no suggestion that anyone really intended to kill the man. I recall that they investigated his death pretty thoroughly at the time and no "new evidence" has emerged since.

Other "common" players (not that Del was common!) with good stories are:

Arlie Latham the "Freshest Man on Earth" a member of two 19th Century juggernauts: the AA's St. Louis Browns and then the NL's "Old Orioles." Later he was the "1st Coach" with former teammate John McGraw's Giants in the early 20th century. He's (uniquely?) in the Old Judges, Mayos, T205, T206 and T207 sets.

"Turkey Mike" Donlin - a star player who took time out for show biz and lived the high life with his show biz wife. Donlin might even have been a Hall of Famer today if he had stuck to Baseball the whole time. He's in the T-sets.