View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Default Better Bidding Practice on Huggins & Scott Auction

Posted By: Joann

Adam - I'm not sure I agree that the 10% increments raise prices realized overall for certain. Some cards may go for higher than value (b/c the next 10% overshot the value and someone bid it anyways), but some cards would also go for slightly less than value. If the most recent bid is just under and the next available bid is too high, many cards would sit at that lower value.

It would be very interesting to know what the actual split is. We can say that anything that has two aggressive bidders will be high. I would imagine that anything unique and rare might be high too - there is more likely to be two "gotta have it" bidders, and with no real way of knowing value they will bid until they can't anymore.

But for many "commodity" cards - mainstream set commons and HOF'ers even in high grades where there is at least some sense of proper value among bidders - there may in these cases be more of a chance that the bidding would stop at the last increment short of the value.

So the aggregate change in realized values for a large auction may stay the same, go up or decrease. (Wow. I am ON today aren't I? haha) It would depend on the extent to which the high-dollar "overs" for rare cards exceeded the "under" bids on the more mainstream items.

Interesting topic either way.

Joann