View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default Why All Auction Houses Should Publish A Code of Ethics

Posted By: Joann

I think it's a positive step even if it might not close every loophole. It's still progress.

I also can't help but think that the content of this forum over the past year must have had at least some influence. There is so much money here, and so many big players, that it's kind of inconceivable to think that there was absolutely no thought of the opinions here in making this new policy.

As to records, I don't think that saying that all records will be kept for all time is the same as saying that no records were kept for any time in the past. Organizations change their record retention policies all the time. Maybe they only kept records for six months, and maybe it was only on lots that sold for a given minimum price. If now they are saying that records for all lots will be kept permanently, that may just be an expansion of past practices.

(Although the discovery issue is troubling. I don't know how much time had passed between the auction in question and the request for records. Also, when unable to produce records on request an organization will definitely state that the records were disposed according to written policy, and then produce the policy if they have one. It doesn't sound like they produced a policy supporting the lack of records.)

Finally, I think it's interesting that they specifically say they will not voluntarily share the records with any third party. With that statement they are basically saying they will not be using MEARS to authenticate memorabilia in 08.

Still though, there are positives in the progress represented by the new policy, and I think the positives can be appreciated for what they are.

Joann Kline