View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Default Thoughts about the hobby

Posted By: ErikV

Leslie,

I too am an avid baseball fan. Granted, over the years the game has changed (ie designated hitter, pitch count, more emphasis on specialty position players/middle relief, closer, etc), but the game is still played the same way. Both teams get 9 innings, 3 outs per inning and you still have to outscore your opponent to win. Yes, the game has become commercialized with the All-Star Game and Home Run Derby, but every spring we have spring training and every fall we still have a World Series with the hope of our team going all the way!

As far as collecting goes, don't get too caught up in the investment aspect. Enjoy your collection for what it is, a means of connecting to an era and players from a bygone era as well as an ongoing work in progress.

One quick story. After reading your post last night, I received a phone call from a former co-worker whom I had not heard from in quite some time. He knows I collect cards and his son has become interested in collecting. Evidentially, his son has been reading up on Christy Mathewson because that is now his favorite player. I suggested that I meet him and his son and show them a few of my older cards, including a couple of my Matty cards. He got really excited and is looking forward to seeing my collection.

Again, enjoy the game, enjoy your collection and most of all have fun with both!