View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default E254 Ryan (St. Paul) - Photo ID Confirmed

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

There has been talk about cards that depict wrong players in recent months and I wanted to point out a card of a potential "Future" HOFer that may some-day be an issue like some of the other HOFer/non-HOFer talk that we had on the Clarkson Mayo thread.

The E254 card of Ryan for St. Paul is supposed to be a card of Jack (Gulfport) Ryan who was with St. Paul at the time the card was being made. The player pictured bears no resemblance to Jack and my brother (Rhys) and I have long thought the image of Jimmy Ryan (one from later in his career) was used by accident, the picture would have been nearly 10 years old at the time they used it.

Browsing through the Robert Edwards catalogue today confims what we had thought, that the E254 Colgan of Ryan while attempting to depict Jack Ryan in fact depicts Jimmy Ryan while in his last years as a pro with the Washington Senators. In REA they have a copy of Jimmy's Breisch-Williams card which uses the same photo. Photo of E107 Ryan is from REA online catalogue.

So here is another example of a card with the wrong photo, but whose card is it? A Jack Ryan card with wrong photo, or a Jimmy Ryan card with wrong team (7-8 years made after his retirement? Or is it a little of both?

I tend to think the latter, but regardless it is an interesting conundrum.

-Rhett

E254 Ryan (St. Paul)

E107 Ryan (from REA)