View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Default What flaws do you spot on this Ruth?

Posted By: Anonymous

CDsNuts, I did some more checking on the Gwynn. I measured both borders left to right and top to bottom. There was indeed a very slight difference. It doesn't directly stand out to my eyes though. The point I was trying to make with my Gwynn card was that if there were any flaws on it, they are nowhere near the point of detracting from the eye appeal of the card. My thread about the insanity of graded cards referred to people who are willing to spend $2225 for a 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn just because it is labelled as a perfect 10 and doesn't have the "huge" defects that my 8.5 Gwynn has. I'm just not that anal retentive enough to be bothered by a card that's half a millimeter off centered. Maybe that's because I mostly collect vintage. With vintage, you're lucky to get a card without a crease running the entire length of the card. Give me $2225 to spend on cards and I'm going to buy Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, or another vintage classic. I guess all of the PSA people really feel that getting that perfect 10 is worth the money. I am positive this gem mint graded craze will fade away and there will be a lot of people wondering why they blew $1000 on a 1984 Don Mattingly.