View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Default Talking RAMLY's....which are the toughest T204 cards ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

An artistically appealing set, it was produced in 1909. It has always been a mystery to many, that the major stars (Cobb,
Lajoie, Mathewson, Wagner, Young, etc.) were not portrayed in the T204's. At least, Walter Johnson and Eddie Plank are
in it. I attribute this strange player representation (or lack of it) to the theory that I've referred to in a prior thread as the
"American Caramel Company vs American Tobacco Company wars".
Produced in Boston, the T204 cards depict many Boston Subjects....approx. 25% of the cards in this set are Eastern Mass-
achusetts BB team related. However, a further mystery is that Tris Speaker was not included.
This it is the only (major) 20th Century set that I have not completed. But, I'm content on collecting a sub-set of just all
the Boston subjects.

Subject........Boston (League)

Frank Arrelanes AL
Jim Ball NL
Johnny Bates NL
Frank Bowerman NL
Fred Burchell AL
Jesse Burkett (Manager, Worcester Club)
Bill Carrigan AL
Charles Chech AL
Eddie Cicotte AL
Pat Donahue AL (Identified as Jiggs in SCD Stand. Catalog....Pat is Jiggs' bro.)
Gus Dorner NL
George Ferguson NL
Peaches Graham NL
Doc Gessler AL
Vive Lindaman NL
Harry Lord AL
Amby McConnell AL
Cy Morgan AL
Tim Murnane (Prez. New England League)
Harry Niles AL
Claude Ritchey NL
Charlie Smith (traded to Boston AL in 1909)
Tubby Spencer AL
Jake Stahl AL
Bill Sweeney NL
Heine Wagner AL

So, how about a substantive discussion here on the various aspects of this set. Let's hear from some of you Net54 experts.

Show and tell us about your T204's; and, which cards are the really tough ones to find....besides Burkett ?

Also, can someone share their expertise with us regarding the backs of the T204's ? For instance, can all the Subjects be
found with the different backs ?

TED Z