View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Default Talking RAMLY's....which are the toughest T204 cards ?

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I don't think that there are any "rare" cards in the 121, although all 121 cards are probably fewer in number that a T206 Wagner. The 6 cards with square borders (Anderson, Bancroft, Bransfield, Burkett, Dineen & Moran) all come with true blank backs. There are other players that sometimes have blank backs, but I am quite sure that it is a result of paper delamination as they are always on thin stock. I am quite sure that these 6 cards were test printed with square and oval borders and the oval borders were the winner. The square borders have very low pops (Anderson 3 known). All Square border cards also come with TTT backs on the oval cards. I am quite sure that TTT backs are only possible on either 55 or 66 cards. (5 rows of 11 or 6 rows of 11). Some years back a sheet was cut Graded by SGC (8's, 9's &10's). SGC now regrets grading these about 40 cards. These were auctioned by Mastro abut 10 years ago. I have not been able to find out the size of the sheet and sometime soon hope to see if Bill can recall the size of the sheet.

I think the cards were either printed on two 66 card sheets (6x11) with one row on one sheet double printed. Or on 1 sheet of 121 (11x11). The single sheet does not explain why TTT backs can not be found on approximately half of the subjects.

At one time I had about 700 Ramlys with 5 complete sets (one set shy a Johnson) trying to get a really nice set. Now I have a really nice set and as many Blank backs, TTT backs as possible. The 38 cards that were in REA's last auction came from a old guy (older that me by 15+ years). He contacted Bill Cornell, who contacted me and I saw the cards at his house about 30 miles North of Miami. He told me that his father who was born in 1895 had collected them. They were in a cigar box. I was able to get from Rob before the auction a Thomas card for Bob Craik that was his last card to complete the set. Bill was able to get a 3 cards lot that he wanted and Ray (card owner) got about $30,000 to $35,000. There were some TTT's a Johnson and some HOF'ers. There are some old threads on Ramlys and backs.