View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Default Sportsfest 2008..Anyone attend?

Posted By: Bruce Perry

although prices can be higher at shows sometimes, the bigger auctions are more times than not no better after you pay the 17.5-25% surcharges...the bigger auctions do offer tremendous quality and selection....and most people know that is where the quality cards for the most part are going....but the most important factor for me is that there is no substitute for seeing a card (s) in person...no true scan can do a card justice in my opinion and show every little flaw or bad (or good) characteristic....and for those who buy the graded number or the grading company, and not the card...LOL.....I just returned from the sportsfest show on Saturday...the attendance on friday was decent and the people there were buying..I purchased several nice cards at reasonable prices, and traded for some also...a handful dealers I know well had great shows even before Saturday....the Renaissance Marriott Schaumburg hotel is first rate and one of the top ones I have stayed at in my 27 years traveling to shows....the convention area itself was as good as any I have seen..maybe too small for the national...but with the National seemingly decreasing in size every year, maybe this venue will eventually be considered....the NATIONAL experience is like no other if you are a collector (or dealer)and want to have a fun time..I have been to every one since 1985 (the 20th selling one for me is this year) except one (1988 NY) and I would not miss it for anything...if shows completely die out, and that possibility exists (for lots of reasons), that will be a huge shame