View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default Sen. Russell's collection incl. Doyle error & Ty Cobb back

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Correct me if I'm wrong here....but, I don't know of any other T206 collections that can boast having having
the 2 most scarcest 20th Century BB cards. Former Georgia Senator Richard B. Russell collected most of his
T-cards as a teenager during 1909-1912.
His collection is on display at the University of Georgia (Athens, GA). I'm curious if anyone on Net54 has seen
this collection. Here is the link to info regarding Senator Russell's collection......

http://www.libs.uga.edu/russell/exhibits/baseball/about.shtml

I recently acquired 40 cards from Sen. Russell's original collection. His Great Grand-daughter was selling many
of his duplicates. There were 100's of cards available and every one of them have PIEDMONT 350 backs.
Now, there are two very interesting factors here......

In one shot from this collection, I acquired 7 of the tough "ELITE EIGHT" (as I've coined them) with their very
rare PIEDMONT 350 backs. Lundgren (Cubs) was missing. These 7 cards are......

Dahlen (Boston)
Ewing
Ganley
Jones (St Louis)
Karger
Lindaman
Mullin (horiz.)

Secondly and more importantly....my question to any one....Since the Joe Doyle error card only exists with a
PIEDMONT 350 back, did a young Richard Russell originally acquire his Doyle card back in 1910 ? ?

And, if this is so, it would be the first reported original T206 collection from 1910 with a Joe Doyle error in it.
We cannot discount the significance of this discovery. What I find stunning about this....is that, apparently,
none of the hobby's veterans (Burdick, Barker, Carter, etc.) were ever aware of the existence of this error
card of Joe Doyle.
Senator Russell was a well-known public figure in Washington until he passed away in 1971. The U.S. Senate
Office building is named after him.

TED Z