View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default New Pre-War HOFers? ESPN.com Article

Posted By: boxingcardman

I thought the failure to include Miller and Cy Rigler (umpire) last time around were ridiculous. Say what you want about Miller; to elect the dunsel [def: a part which serves no useful purpose. The term was used as an insult to Captain James T. Kirk during the war games test of the M-5 Multitronic Unit created by Dr. Richard Daystrom. Commodore Robert Wesley called Kirk Captain Dunsel, to the confusion of Dr. Leonard McCoy. Kirk's First Officer Spock explained the term only after Kirk had left the bridge, stung by the insult]. Kuhn is in but not the guy who kicked his can over and over and changed the structure of the sport far more profoundly than Kuhn ever did? Crappo. Charles "Cy" Rigler (May 16, 1882 - December 21, 1935) worked in the National League from 1906 to 1935. His total of 4,144 games ranked fourth in major league history when he retired, and his 2,468 games as a plate umpire still place him third behind his NL contemporaries Bill Klem (3,543) and Hank O'Day (2,710). Rigler is tied with O'Day for the second most World Series as an umpire (10), credited with instituting the practice of using arm signals when calling balls and strikes. Rigler was promoted to supervisor of the NL staff in December 1935 following the death of Hank O'Day, but died less than two weeks later.

As far this crowd goes, nope. No one there I'd vote for. But I would not be surprised to see one or two slip in; the HOF needs bodies at the annual ceremony. Slapping in a few old farts is one way to get more interest. And FWIW, Mazeroski is a HOFer compared to quite a few of the guys in there and any of the ones on this list. He had a career .983 fielding percentage, led the National League in assists nine times, and holds the major league career record for double plays by a second baseman. Not too shabby...one of the best ever with the glove at a key glove position.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc