View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Default Philadephia Caramel Project

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Erik - Unfortunately I didn't ask but I will contact him again and ask.

Ted - I have to disagree with you on the postcard as I believe it was specifically used as a "reminder" to customers of the Philadelphia Caramel Company and possibly other businesses. The whole bottom right of the postcard is blank giving a busines plenty of room to promote. I could agree that the Philadelphia Caramel Card might not have produced this postcard but rather purchased it from a supplier (and therefore making it logical this same postcard exists with other advertisements).

I'm unsure as to how you summize the postcard dates to the 1890s. Even if the picture of Drexel is from the 1890s, what would stop the publisher from using the picture over? For example, I grew up in Fort Plain, NY. There are postcards dating to 1900 that depict a map of the town drawn in 1740.

EDITED TO ADD: Ted, you're correct - after further research, I found out the cards were issued in 1898. I shouldn't have doubted ya!

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com>